Happy family

Find a legal form in minutes

Browse US Legal Forms’ largest database of 85k state and industry-specific legal forms.


If a couple is unmarried, only one person can claim the child as a dependent for income tax return purposes in any given year. An unmarried couple can alternate years or decide that the person with the higher income takes the tax deduction. While both parents may be entitled to claim a child, only one person can legally take the exemption each year.

Inside Taxes